Wednesday, August 12, 2009

St Ives Tate

In order to find inspiration for this blog, I , as well as many other students I'm sure, have been paying trips to various museums and art galleries, so that I might have something interesting to say about particular pieces of work, artists or just something that has inspired me from visiting these places. Last week I was on holiday with my family in Cornwall, and one day we explored the picturesque postcard-town that is St. Ives. Whilst there I thought that taking a trip to the St. Ives Tate would be a valuable addition to the inspiration I have been trying to gain for this blog.

However, I always seem to encounter t
he same problem with 80% of the modern art I come into contact with. I just don't get it. I'm sure I'm not the only one, in fact I'm sure I'm one of many; I try to find meaning, explanation or even just some kind of sense in some of the works that are displayed in these galleries, framed so perfectly and even seeming to demand respect, but for that 80% of modern art, I just can't appreciate what I see. There was one piece I came across by Katy Moran: an abstract oil on canvas painting comprised of mostly beiges, dark browns and blacks, and the little plaque next to the piece read "Muffin Power". Why? Where was the muffin? Maybe if there was something explaining why she'd named it that I could feel more open towards the piece, but as it stood, trying to find 'muffin power' in the harsh strokes brushed angrily across the canvas seemed like a hopeless mission, and all I felt inclined to do was move to the next piece.

The 'What is art?' debate has been going on for years, and will continue to do so as long as art is being produced. I do not deny that pieces such as 'Muffin Power' are not art; I believe that art is a form of self expression, and clearly pieces like these are. Maybe it's just that I like to know what's going on in a piece of art.

Despite finding many pieces in the St. Ives Tate that I did not connect with, what I did love about my visit there was the building itself. The white stone conjured
a complete sense of calm, and combined with the building's curves made it a very aesthetically pleasing place to visit. At the front of the building was a very tall roofed sort of amphitheatre, that even had the feel of some sort of temple, as if to worship the work that the Tate houses. As one walks round the museum at the top, there is a balcony and rectangular window spaces in the wall that look through the amphitheatre onto the view of the beach and surrounding bay. It is as if these windows turn the views into pieces of art themselves, framing them simply and drawing one's attention to the vistas before them. It seemed to me a perfect building to house art, not only fulfilling its purpose, but creating ever-changing art at the same time, by the different views one can see from the rectangular spaces each day.


3 comments:

Matt said...

I've been to St Ives twice and both times went to the Tate gallery. I think I was more interested in the building however, than the work contained inside it.
A lot of the art the times I went was work by local artists about the local area, and while it was nicely painted or sculpted, none of it particularly grabbed my attention.
The building itself was inpressive, especially the top floor glass windows. I thought the same thing as you, that it is almost as if it is an ever changing painting or photograph.
The first time that I was there, 2007, there was an exhibition of work by Brian Wilson, of the Beach Boys. It contained work by him as well as work inspired by the music of the beach boys. This was the most interesting thing I have seen there. It seems a shame that it doesn't get the sort of work that the London and Liverpool Tates get. This may be due to the location or size but I felt it could be put to better use.
Art is very subjective. We always go to art galleries when on family holidays, I think because we always used to go when I was in school doing art. My mum still doesn't understand what I do at uni, that I am doing design and not art. She always asks when will I be doing some more art for the home!

Rosie Manning said...

Wow. I was there literally 2 weeks ago.
You know the confusing interior of the building was designed to reflect the confusion of St Ives itself; the many hidden streets and archives.

The Artful Craner said...

It seems you pretty much felt the way I did after visiting the Surrealist exhibition in the Leeds art gallery. There's always the question of whether you need to understand something for it to be considered art, and I've come to the conclusion that it certainly helps you appreciate it more! In a lot of cases with modern art, the term 'visual communication' might be more appropriate to describe it.
It's interesting that both you and Matt say the building caught your attention more than the pieces inside... perhaps Tates can be a bit hit-and-miss, and since St Ives is probably not the most popular it doesn't get the best exhibitions!