Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chuck Close

Ever since I first saw the work of Chuck Close in the San Francisco MOMA a few years ago, I was immediately captivated by his incredible style of painting. I love the way he treats each square in his images like it alone were a masterpiece in itself. I also admire his passion and determination to paint, as he has very limited mobility resulting from an accident a few years ago. Each little square that makes up his portraits has, I think, a cellular quality about it in appearance, which relates in a pleasing way to the fact that cells make up all living beings.

For part of my A level art coursework I had to write an essay about an artist, and Chuck Close was my subject. I wanted to explore his painting style and discuss whether it could be classified as art, as he paints in such a scientific way. My essay was entitled "Chuck Close - Man or Machine?" As I worked my way through the essay I decided that it's nobody and everybody's right to decide what art is for themselves. (Back to the 'what is art?' debate again!) In my mind, Chuck Close has the mind of a man, but the skills of a machine. His work is well worth taking a look at; it is very graphically and perfectionistically done and is very pleasing to look at, from all distances, as the effect is comple
tely different close-up to far away.


No comments: