Thursday, September 3, 2009

Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising

On a visit to London yesterday I decided to take a trip to a couple of museums I have never been to before, one of which was the Brand Museum in Notting Hill. I actually found out about it as I saw a picture from the museum's website on Nat Dodd's blog - thanks Nat! So I decided to investigate further as I had never heard of the museum, and it turns out that its incredible collection was right up my street.

I have always found the development of packaging design through history fascinating, and I spent a wonderful morning revelling in designs from the past, that went as far back as the 1800s. On arrival at the museum I thought the collection was going to be tiny, as one can only see into the first room; the ceilings are quite low and we are unaware that the museum has a lot more space than it appears to have. The collection is in fact very well laid out: above the doorways there are signs that inform you what decade you are about to walk through, and the window displays are arranged categorically eg. toys, games, food packaging, clothing etc. Most also each have their own little plaque, explaining and describing the contents from the era.

One of the highlights for me was speaking to a couple of elderly women who were also looking round the museum. Where the visit for me was more educational, their's was truly full of nostalgia and it must have been amazing for them seeing so many things in the museum that they were familiar with, whether they were from their childhood, their children's childhood or their grandchildren's childhood. I wonder of the concept of the museum seemed in any way strange to them; the items there are not amazing artefacts, rather just everyday items, however when seen all together next to their past and future selves they suddenly seem to become pieces of art, and one looks at something like a Frosties cereal packet in a completely different way.

I guess I got to experience a fraction of what those women felt, too, as there was a small section from the 90s! It was fun to see how things had changed, even if some things only slightly, and also to remember things that are not now popular or are no longer made. It also made me wonder what things will be in there once this decade is over, things that we love as they are to us now very modern, but in twenty years or so will be loved and marvelled over for the complete opposite reason.

Even though I took many photos at the museum, the staff there made it very clear that the photos are to be for personal use only, so unfortunately I can't post any on here. However if anyone wants too see them once back at uni I'll be more than happy to show them! This museum is well worth a visit from both design and historical points of view, and is good value for students - only £3.50. You can view the website here.

1 comment:

stephburningham said...

I went there on wednesday! Put some of your pictures up! I took a few http://stephburningham.blogspot.com/2009/09/museum-of-brands-and-packaging-notting.html

Really good museum wasn't it, in a really tucked away place though!