Friday, October 2, 2009

Freshers' Fair and Free Condoms

Like most Leeds students, last week I visited the Freshers' Fair with hope of bagging some decent freebies. There are loads of different freebies that companies give out at the Freshers' Fair, most commonly pens, keyrings, flyers, sweets, and this year - condoms in huge abundance!

I must have counted about 10 condoms given to me by different companies, and it's great that so many are concerned about students and safe sex, especially the nightclubs that are also encouraging crazy nights with lots of cheap alcoholic drinks on offer (we all know where that can lead)! 2 condoms caught my eye especially though: one which was in a silver coloured light metal case (by condom essential wear), and another in a G.I. Jonny packet!

G.I. Jonny is part of a 2 month campaign by the BBC to inform the British population about the rising number of HIV cases in the UK, and the packet features the picture of an action man model - who we can only assume is G.I. Jonny, whose tagline is "To inform and protect". I think it's quite an effective way of getting information across, as the shape and size of the packet makes it clear that there is a Durex condom inside, so people will want to pick it up to get the free condom. To get access to it though one needs to open up the packet , and when opened the inside reveals information and facts about HIV. G.I. Jonny also has a website where one can create their own G.I. and watch sketches of him in action etc.

I think the silver condom case by Condom Essential Wear is more about having something stylish yet inconspicuous, and by keeping condoms in a case like that may make people feel that having and using condoms is stylish too.

2 different ways of encouraging safe sex, yet completely different approaches.



No comments: